Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Interesting Yet Busy Two Weeks For Me

Once again I am sorry that I have not posted on a regular basis. My laptop was acting up last week again.

The interesting part of these past two weeks was getting to experience an ice storm here in Dallas. The storm started last Tuesday (January 27th) evening and produced anywhere from 1/4 inch to 1/2 inch of ice by Wednesday morning. I was fortunate that the transit system was running, but was still late to work due to road conditions that caused the bus to drive slow. One thing I did notice was that the city was dead. A lot of people waited out the storm last Wednesday until around lunch time when the ice started melting a little. The ice didn't completely melt until the next day when we stayed above freezing longer than three hours. Either way I enjoyed the weather since I didn't have to drive in it.

Work was busy as we were getting a project out the door. It is nice to be busy because it makes the day go by faster. I am still learning new things each day. I am enjoying the challenging atmosphere at work.

This past weekend was a nice break for me. I drove down to Houston for my birthday / Super Bowl weekend. On Saturday morning, Tina cooked a delicious breakfast at my parents house for my birthday and my mom's birthday (same day for those who didn't know). It was nice to spend time with my parents. Saturday evening, Tina planned a surprise birthday dinner for me at Lupe Tortillas. We got there and most of our small group members, and my in-laws, were there to wish me Happy Birthday. It was nice to have friends help celebrate with me. On Sunday we met up with those same friends to watch the Super Bowl. I have to say that with the exception of the fourth quarter, the game was BORING and the commercials were not good. I drove back to Dallas Monday afternoon to prepare for the short work week.

Since I have no more football to talk about, I guess I will be able to pay more attention to the news. One thing that is getting a lot of attention is Obama's nominee's having problems not paying their taxes. My wife (CFO) makes every effort to make sure that we file our taxes in a timely manner. Would we be allowed to get away with the "Honest Mistake" quote? No we would be slapped with penalties and then the slammer. No wonder there isn't much respect for our government. They get the special treatment at our expense.

Locally, people here in Dallas are trying hard to take pictures of "W's" new house before the gate goes up. Tina and I have driven in the neighborhood to try and see the house. I missed the street and haven't made an effort to go back.

Also in Dallas, they have pretty much auctioned everything in Texas Stadium before it is history later this year. People have spent some bucks on various things. I read that seats were selling for $400 each. If you wanted an aisle seat, that was $600 because it had the star on the side. One thing that is still available is Emmit Smith's locker. Apparently nobody wants to shell out $2000.

I had never seen Texas Stadium until I moved here. I know people love the Cowboys and Texas Stadium, but to Tina and me the stadium looks UGLY from the outside.

Anyway, I just wanted to update you with what has been going on here in Dallas. I hope all is going good for you.

Jon

No comments: